Fun Times – Sherwood Forest Camp (Part One)

 

During our time in Haliburton and the Matabanick Inn, my parents decided to send me to camp. A few years before that they had sent my brother, Chuck, to Camp Calumet. I thought that I would be sent to the same camp, that’s not where my parents sent me. Instead, they opted to send me to Sherwood Forest Camp. I guess they thought it was more suited to my personality, plus, it was only a short distance from the Inn.

At first, I really didn’t want to go, I would miss my friend Donny, and all the fun at the “Mat”. However, once I got settled in, I loved it there!

Sherwood Forest Camp had a “native” theme. I think that that was all the rage back then. Campers were taught about nature and how to live with it. I don’t think that the theme would be appropriate now, but, as I said, it seemed okay back then. There were lots of activities around this theme, swimming, archery, hiking and canoe trips. The canoe trip that I went on was for 2 days. We canoed north, across Halls Lake, up the Oxtongue Narrows to Dorset. Along the way we sang songs, paddle a lot, portaged a few times, slept outdoors in tents and sat around camp fires listening to the counselors tell scary ghost storey. All in all, it was a great trip.

(To be continued in Part Two)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)

Appleby College