The Lake – Boating

Little Boshkung Lake was where I fell in love with boating. It started off with a 5-horse powered outboard engine and gradually went up to 10 hp motor. Back then you could operate an outboard motor boat at a very early age. No licence was required. I think I was about 7 when I first started driving a boat on my own. I had the freedom of motoring along in the boat whenever wanted to. Fortunately, my parents trusted e not to do anything foolish. I respected both the boat and the water and managed to stay out of trouble.

The freedom I felt is hard to explain. I would just sit in the boat, drive slowly around the lake (it was a very small lake), go wherever I wanted to (serendipity was my aim), explore all the “nooks and crannies” and sing at the top of my lungs! What summers I used to have!

Now, whenever I need to relax, I exchange to boat for my car, and drive on a lonely country road and enjoy wherever the car takes me. To my everlasting gratitude, Judi loves to “relax” with me.

Another boating joy on Little Boshkung Lake was going with my father fishing. Dad used to love trolling for Lake trout. Back then, the lake had plenty of them. I would drive the boat and he would troll. We would go back and froth for what seemed like hours. Eventually, (most of the time) he would catch one or two. Once the fishing was finished, we would head back to the Inn. We’d take the fish to the back of the lodge’s kitchen where there was a fish cleaning station. Once cleaned, I would proudly take the cleaned fish into the kitchen give them to Mrs. Archer to cook. A fish fry was then in our future.

My love of boating has never left me. However, these days I don’t own a boat, but I do have my trusty car and there are lots of lonely country roads to explore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)

Appleby College