Fun Times – Sherwood Forest Camp (Part Two)

As part of the theme, campers could earn an “Indian” name. I’m don’t remember all the activities needed to earn the title. Likely the canoe trip was one of them. The other that I do remember was treading water. To complete this challenge, you had to tread water for a long period of time. I think an hour or two. I loved this challenge, completed it and even went overtime! As I have mentioned, after not drowning 2 times, I really learned how to swim, and, how to tread water for a long time!

I eventually earned my name, but have since forgotten it. The “naming ceremony” was held at the end of the camping period. It was held at night around a large bonfire. All of us who passed the challenges were lined up and given our names.

One activity that wasn’t on the challenge list was smoking “bumwaddyens” (I think that’s how you spell it, or perhaps, I just made the word up!). Making “bumwaddyens” was very simple. Take a handful of “pine needles” and “toilet paper” from the outhouse, then, tightly wrap the toilet paper around the pin needles. Light the “bumwaddyens” and smoke it! At this stage of my life, I was experimenting with smoking cigarettes and “bumwaddyens” seemed like a good substitute. Boy, was I wrong! They tasted, while, not good (understatement!).

Fortunately, the other part of my Sherwood Forest camping experience was great. I would have liked to experience the camp the next year (I was thinking I could become camp counsellor, but my parents had other plans. I’ll explain later.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)