Summer Memories ~ Lake of Bays

The White Birch Cottages

 As I mentioned, while visiting the Wilsons, my parents rented a cottage at the White Birch Cottage Resort. As I said, this was the start of our Muskoka adventure!

The cottage was located on the South Branch of the Muskoka River. This river connected the Lake of Bays to the Village of Baysville.

My most favourite (?) memory, and likely my only memory, of our stay was that I learned (?) how to waterski. Earlier, I had told you that I had a “go” at waterskiing when we vacationed at the Matabanick Inn. I had tried many times, but failed many times in my attempt to get up. Fortunately, my White Birch Cottage – Muskoka River experience was different (sort of)!

This time we were using an “actual” motorboat, with a motor that “actually” went over 10 mile per hour. Also, I was older and stronger, an important point in my favour! I was starting from the water, not on the front end of a “tippy” canoe. All was going well. I had my skis on straight. I was buoyant in the water. Remember, I was a really good swimmer now. Everything was “perfect”. The boat started up, my father, the “official” boat driver, was in charge. The tow rope went tight and I was moving along. The boat picked up speed and I started to stand up on the skis. Eureka, I was waterskiing! Perhaps I spoke too soon! My legs started to “fold” under my weight. As they did that my “bottom” started to enter the water. Like my father before me, I forgot to let go of the rope! However, instead of falling forward, I continued to “skim” across the water. Water was entering where no water was meant to go. Final, my brain started to realize that this was not a good position and told me to let go. I did, but now I had a different problem! Fortunately, I was near the shore and was able to climb up onto the dock. From there I “raced” to the cottage and its “wonderful” bathroom! I stay there for some time before I was able the return to the “real” world!

Unlike my father, I was undaunted by my experience, and eventually learned how ski, without losing my “trunks”. This was the start of many years joyful waterskiing. That is, until the (my) crash of 1986, however, that is another story for another time! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)