Summer Memories ~ Lake of Bays

 

The Village - Baysville (Part Two)

What I mean as “fun” was ice cream, candy and Miss Langmaid. Miss Langmaid owned and ran Langmaid’s General Store. It was a typical country store, except that it sold “excellent” ice cream. Miss Langmaid always served large ice cream cones. One of the quirks of going into the store was Miss Langmaid, herself. Whenever anyone entered the store, she would shout out, “Up for the summer!” It happened every time we entered her store. I often wondered if she said that when a “local” customer entered. I enjoyed, going there, Miss Langmaid was always cheery and pleasant. At the back of Langmaid’s store was the Muskoka River. Beside the store was a small but beautiful park. It overlooked a dam that controlled the river. Judi and I still visit the park when we are in the area. It’s shaded and peaceful, a great place to sit and relax after long drive.

Across from Langmaid’s was an old country inn. It, too, sold ice cream. Sometime we would go there for a change (sorry, Miss Langmaid). I can remember a sign by the snack bar counter that said, “The best inn by a dam site!”. I’m sure other inns by a “dam site” have the same slogan on their walls, but I still chuckle when I think about it. Sad, I know! Unfortunately, the inn has since burned down and has not been replaced. There is now a wooden deck on the rock where the inn sat. I wonder if the owners of the deck have a sign saying, “Best wooden deck by a dam site!” Maybe I’ll check it out the next time we visit the village.

I’ll post more stories about Baysville and area later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)