Summer Memories ~ Lake of Bays

 

The Marinas (Part One)

As I mentioned before, there were two marinas in BaysvilleBaysville Marina and Kelmar Marina. My dad, from the beginning of our adventures on Lake of Bays, chose to deal with Kelmar Marina. The family who owned it were very hospitable and were great to deal with. When I turned 14, the owner of the marina, Cal Martin, offered me my first job! Boy, was I excited! I was to help his customers with their boats and to help at the gas pumps. I loved the job and was very enthusiastic about it. To get to the job, I would take our boat and tight up at the marina docks. Cal was great to work for. Part of Cal’s business was making waterskies, especially slalom skis. Cal knew that I like to waterski and offered to let me build my own. What a thrill! It was bright yellow and I kept it and used it for a very long time. After an unfortunate waterskiing accident, my “baby” (the ski) was retired! I’ll tell you more about this “tragedy” (a little too dramatic, perhaps) later in these memories, I don’t want to get ahead of myself.

(To be continued in Part Two)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)