Summer Memories ~ Lake of Bays

Huntsville

Our cottage was quite close to Huntsville. This is where we shopped for our cottage supplies. We didn’t go to Huntsville often during our summer vacations, but I always enjoyed our visits. This was especially true when I was younger. There was one store, in particular, that I loved to explore. It was the Algonquin Outfitters, located on the main street. This store was amazing! It was like the other “trading” stores that I told you about earlier. However, it was much different, in that it was much larger and had more fun things to discover and play with! Like most young children, my eyes grew “very large” when we entered the store. My parents would indulge me by giving me lots of time to look around. Eventually my parents, usually my mom, would have to drag me out of it, with a promise that we would be back soon. She was able to convince me every time. As a kid, I never tired of going to the store. I am sure that my mother had other thoughts! However, she always kept her promise that she would take me back there. Judi and I have been back a few times to Huntsville, and I always drag her into that store. For some people, childhood never ends!

As I grew older, my dad and I and usually another person or two would drive to Huntsville to play golf at the local golf course. It was great experience to golf with my dad and his friends. My dad was right-handed but played golf left-handed. I think my dad was a “closet” left-hander but was forced to become a right-hander by his parents. Back in those days, I think being left-handed was considered as a bad thing, especially for males. I digress, back to golf. My dad’s swing, to say the least, was very unorthodox. It may have been, but it seemed to work out for him, most of the time. I don’t think my dad golfed for the “love” of the game. He just loved to walk and explore, and I think that’s why he golfed. I’d like to think that it was also his way of “bonding” with me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)