Summer Memories ~ Lake of Bays

Cottage - Guests (Part One)

 My parents, especially my father, were very social. They loved to invite friends to the spend time with them at the cottage. There were a few couples that they invited more often. One of those couples, the Moniers, liked the area so much that they bought a cottage themselves from, who else but Mrs. Haynes, herself! Yes, that’s right, the same lady that we had purchased our cottage from. Their cottage was on the same cottage road that ours was, but was located on a different bay.

In thinking back, my must favourite memories of the cottage, not counting swimming, boating and waterskiing, were the evening card games. One of the most memorable games, was with two of my parents’ best friend couples, the Moniers and the Watsons. The evening of cards started off normally. This evening the card game of choice, was poker, 5 card draw.  The stakes were 5, 10, and 25 cents. For me, the game become interesting when I started to win, and I won lot. Not money, hands. It got to a point that I became “giddy” with success. The men in the game decided that the kid (me), needed to be taught a lesson. They suggested that the stakes be raised to a dollar or two. The women (my mother) were apprehensive, but went along with it. Instead of discouraging me, I got more bolder, and giddier and, I kept winning. As the game went on, the men became more determine to teach me a “good” lessen. The harder they tried, the more I won! It was getting very late, and the adults decided that I had “learned” my lesson! I had. I was $50 richer! I went to bed, “jiggling” my “lesson”! The moral of this story was, “don’t mess with the KID!

(To be continued in Part Two)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)