Summer Memories ~ Lake of Bays

Waterskiing

Like I said, I learned how to waterski on the Muskoka River. After mastering the essentials of waterskiing, there was nothing holding me back. After we moved into our Burnt Island Bay cottage, I skied almost every summer day. My father had purchased a beautiful wooden Shepherd outboard motor boat. It had a 50 hp Johnson outboard motor. It was the kind of boat you could treasure for ever. Also, it was a great boat to waterski behind! It was behind this wonderful boat that I continued to master waterskiing. First with two skis and then on one. It was awesome, slalom skiing became my passion. I even made my own slalom ski when I worked at a local marina. The more I skied, the better I got.

One summer one the cottagers near us built a “slalom course”. Anyone in the area was welcomed to use it. What a rush. The first time I tried it I fell. It was difficult, but I was determined to “master” the course. I can’t remember how many times I ran the course or how many times I fell. But eventually I became more confident and usually could run the course without falling.

After slalom skiing, running the slalom course, jumping waves and just having a great time, I decided to expand my waterskiing adventures. I bought a “banana” ski. I thought since I had mastered the slalom ski, I could master the “banana” ski. I thought that I could learn a lot of new tricks. I didn’t work out. I don’t know what happened. Either I lost interest in that type of skiing or I chickened out. Whatever happened, it was a “no go” for me.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)