Summer Memories ~ Lake of Bays

Cottage – Family (at the end)

 When my parents first bought the Lake of Bays cottage, the whole family took advantage of enjoying it during the summer. At that time, we all lived in the “big smoke”, Toronto. Towards the end, before my parents sold the cottage, we (the kids) had all started to have different priorities and lives. My older sister moved to the USA with her husband and family. My younger sister's husband owned an ESSO service station and worked on the weekends. And, my brother was busy with all his other activities. And, I, got summer jobs (at the ESSO station and others); got a “real” job (at my father’s insurance agency); got married; bought a home (Bramalea); and had a daughter (Ainsley). I think life just got the better of all of us. For my parents, however, the cottage became a burden. Dad would have to open and close the cottage on his own. We, my brother and I were too caught up in our own lives to “worry” about opening and closing the cottage. Eventually, mom and dad decided it was too much and they put the cottage up for sale. As you can imagine, the cottage sold immediately.

When I look back, I realize what a mistake (the kids) we all made. It would been wonderful to have it now. Not only for the value of the cottage (I think they sold the cottage in the 70’s for about $70,000, imagine what it’s worth now!) but for the enjoyment for the whole family, children, grand children and great grand children. All I can say now is, what’s done is done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)