Thorncrest Village ~ The Early Days

Life in the Village – Our Home (Part Eight)

Christmas – Grampa Lamb

My grandfather, Grampa Lamb, lived in The Beaches (Toronto). Each Christmas we would pick grandpa up and bring him back to our home. It was always a lot of fun picking him up. When I got my driver’s license (at16), I was commissioned to go to The Beaches (we lived in the west end of Toronto – Etobicoke and grandpa live in the east end) and bring grandpa back to our home for Christmas. It was long trip for a new driver, on his own, but I enjoyed every minute of the trip! What a feeling of freedom! Toronto, back in those days, was a ghost town during Christmas morning. There was no traffic to speak of. It was always a very quiet drive. As I said, grandpa lived in The Beaches, in a tiny one-bedroom apartment. It was crowded with old furniture and smelled of freshly cooked “kippers”. Although I am not particularly fond of that type of fish, I loved both the apartment and the smell. It always reminded me of Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)