Appleby College

Life Goes On… (Continued)

NOTE: It’s been a long time since I attended Appleby (1959), my memory might be a little hazy. If you see something lacking, or something incorrect, feel free to let me know where I went wrong.

 Discipline

It wasn’t all routine. When I first started, I became a Boy Scout. Appleby had its own Boy Scout chapter. I believe that it was in my second year, that I became a soldier (cadet). When I started in Appleby, the Second World War had only been over for 9 years and the Korean War was just over. Appleby was one of the private schools that trained its students to become soldiers.


Frankly, at my age, I didn’t really understand the implications of our training to be soldiers. I just thought it was part of my schooling and it was a lot of fun. Yes, there was a lot of discipline, marching, cleaning (and I mean really cleaning) brass buttons and belts, “spit” polishing boots and learning how to take apart a rifle and put it back together again. As part of it, we learned how to march in unison, take orders from officers, shoot a gun, make our bed so that a “quarter” could bounce off it. I can remember getting up very early, putting on my uniform and then going out to learn how to march.


As I said, it was all part of my schooling.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)