Appleby College

Life Goes On… (continued)

NOTE: It’s been a long time since I attended Appleby (1959), my memory might be a little hazy. If you see something lacking, or something incorrect, feel free to let me know where I went wrong.

Ice Hockey – I was a goalie. I am sure that was because I wasn’t a very good skater. My parents bought me all of the equipment I needed, but that didn’t really help me with my playing non-abilities! In those days, goalies didn’t wear face masks. Jacques Plante, of the Montreal Canadiens, was experimenting with them, but they weren’t part of normal goalie equipment. I think that it was a few years after I had become a “goalie” that the school decided that their goalies should wear masks. The masks were made of plexiglass and protected goalie’s faces. The problem was, they would “fog-up” and make if difficult to see the opposition player and more importantly, the puck! The first game that I wore the mask, my mask really “fogged up”! I got tired of not being able to see, so, being an “experienced”, but foolish goal tender, I took it off! You’ve got it! The next opponent's shot went right at my “forehead”! One of the teachers quickly drove me to the Oakville hospital. A little later, I was released with two stitches in my head. My forehead still shows the results! As you can imagine, face masks became mandatory after that.



(to be continued)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)