Thorncrest Village ~ The Early Days

Childhood Sicknesses

My life changed when I was 9! It was a time when childhood diseases were running ramped, German Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox, etc. and I got them all. As a result, I missed a lot of school. This was when a would have been taught “reading, writing and arithmetic”. As you can imagine, I fell far behind my classmates. Also, that was a era when they didn’t “fail” students. My parents, of course, were very concerned. So much so that they decided to find an institution that offered tutoring in reading and writing. My father had had experience with private schools, he had attended St. Andrews College in Aurora, when he was a boy. Also, my brother, Chuck went there for a year or two. My parents’ choice for me was not St. Andrews but Appleby College in Oakville. I am not sure why they choose Appleby, but I think was because they had a tutoring program that would help me with my reading and writing. As we lived in Etobicoke (a far distance from Oakville), becoming a “day” student was out of the question. So, at age 9 (almost 10). I was enrolled as an Appleby Collegeboarding” student. 

This was when the “next stage” of my life began!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)