Appleby College

Life Goes On… (continued)

NOTE: It’s been a long time since I attended Appleby (1959), my memory might be a little hazy. If you see something lacking, or something incorrect, feel free to let me know where I went wrong.

Other Sports... 

Other types of sporting activities also took place, many of them in our “new” gym. Activities such as gymnastics (I sucked), basketball (I was too short), boxing (I almost got knockout) and “dancing”. Yes, I said “dancing”! I’ll talk about “dancing” a little later.

First, let me get to the “easy” activities. Gymnastics wasn’t for me. I couldn’t climb a rope, even after the “Sarge” encouraged me to; going over the “horse” didn’t work out, nor did “flipping” or “handstands”! There were basketball hoops set up in the gym, but the basketballs that I threw, never quite reached the basket. Too bad, because basketball was created in Canada (Almonte) by James Naismith, a Canadian. Boxing was also, not in my “wheel-house”. You had to go 3 rounds. I was done after the first few minutes of the first round! This was a very tiring sport; I have no idea how boxers like Mohammed Ali went 15 rounds!


(to be continued)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)