My "NEW" Life ~ Work!

Paul A. McWilliams & Son Limited

As I have told you in the past posts, my father owned a successful insurance agency. I said agency because back then there were two different types of insurance sales companies, the “agencies” and the “brokerages”.

Basically, “agents” represented the insurance companies they were contracted to, while brokers represented their clients. Now all independent insurance sales companies are brokers.

Anyway, my father owned an insurance agency and at the rip old age of 19, I went there to learn the “biz”! It was a slow start! I think that I was earning $50 a week at the time. Big money for me, at the time. My father didn’t think just working at the “agency” was good enough. So, like any father with sons entering the business, he made arrangements with his lead insurance company, the Western Assurance Co., to hire and train me. The idea was, that I would be put into different departments (auto, home, business, etc.) and work beside “seasoned” employees. This was an interesting part of my education and I trained there for almost a year. With my initial training complete, I was sent back to “Paul A” to enter the “real” business world!


(to be continued)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appleby College

Appleby College

Fun Times – Algonquin Provincial Park (Part One)